Seeking the Sacred:
Christianity in dialogue with other religions and the world
2015 Annual Conference of Modern Church
in association with the World Congress of Faiths
Monday 13th – Thursday 16th July 2015
at High Leigh Conference Centre, Hoddesdon, Herts
Modern Church Chair Jan van der Lely (r) with student helpers Carla, Lucinda & Rhiannon (l-r)
Modern Church held its Annual Conference, chaired by the Revd. Canon Professor Martyn Percy, from Monday 14th to Thursday 17th July 2014 at High Leigh Conference Centre.
Modern Church is very pleased to announce that Professor Linda Woodhead has accepted their invitation to become the President of Modern Church in succession to Professor John Barton.
Professor Linda Woodhead MBE MA DD is Professor in the Sociology of Religion in the Department of Politics, Philosophy and Religion at the University of Lancaster. Her work explores the relationship between religious and social change worldwide and she is particularly interested in change from the 1980’s to the present.
Modern Church is the main proponent of liberal theology in the British churches.
• By ‘liberal theology’ we mean that religious beliefs can and should develop in the light of new insights.
• Divine revelation has not come to an end. God invites us to believe in ways appropriate to 21st Century.
• New ideas should be judged on their merits. They may be true today even if they have not been officially accepted by church leaders in the past.
Modern Church has been promoting liberal theology since 1898.
• a quarterly theological journal: Modern Believing, first published in 1911
• a quarterly members' newsletter: Signs of the Times
• an annual conference and other events featuring leading speakers in their fields
• Forewords booklets illustrating liberal approaches to theological topics
• letters, papers, articles and other publications in response to current events.
Page 1 of 2